Given the rapid advancement and broad accessibility to smart home technology, it is becoming inextricably woven into our dwellings and lifestyles. But did you realize that the underpinnings of the technology is also influencing technology spheres far beyond the home, including those in business, science, healthcare, travel, and much more? In the infographic below, we cover 43 facts and statistics on how smart homes are taking on the world.
Where it all Started
We will bet you didn’t know the evolution of smart homes can be traced back to technologies developed in the 1960s. The Honeywell Kitchen Computer was offered in the 1969 Neiman Marcus Christmas catalog, but only a handful of the $10,000 devices were ever sold. Its 100-pound weight may have been only one of many barriers to adoption.
Fast forward to 2018, where hockey puck-sized smart speakers with voice control access can control hundreds, if not thousands, of connected home accessories—and sell for less than $50.
Adoption of these devices is widespread. Already 58% of millennials say they have smart home devices with voice control. A total of 81% of homebuyers say they would favor purchasing a home with smart accessories already installed. And 62% of Americans claim smart security systems—which can include smart CCTV, smart locks, smart sensors, and alarms—are the top benefit of owning a smart home.
Those are just three of the eye-opening facts we detail below.
Smart Homes: 43 Statistics and Facts in 11,690 Pixels
We hope you enjoy the infographic. Special thanks to our colleagues at safeatlast.co for researching the landscape and generating the infographic.
More About This Topic:
- More from Digitized House | Guide to the Connected Home
- Sign Up to Get Weekly Digitized House Updates
- Native Amazon Alexa Controls Debut in Bose Smart Speakers
- August Enables More Google Assistant, Amazon Alexa, IFTTT Skills
- What’s Driving Demand for Smarter Home Security? Answers in New Market Report
- 6 Smart Ways to Minimize Costs of Home Security
- With Smart Security Cameras, Location Is Everything
- Infographic: Passive Housing | A Smarter Way of Living
- Infographic: Energy Efficient Home | The Basics