Phyn has flowed intelligent water management into the DIY connected home with the announcement today of the $299 Phyn Smart Water Assistant, a smart device conceived for whole-house leak detection and water conservation. Whereas installation of the company’s flagship Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant + Shutoff product requires cutting into a home’s main water line by a licensed plumber, Phyn Smart Water Assistant is designed from the ground up for homeowner self-installs on the existing hot and cold water lines under the kitchen sink.
Patented Water Sensing Technology
Using the patented water pressure sensing technology debuted in its bigger brother, Phyn Plus, the Phyn Smart Water Assistant has two high-definition pressure sensors. Paired with the Phyn app on iOS and Android, the device can reveal in-depth insights on the amount of water each fixture in the home uses, track water consumption over time, highlight areas with excess water usage, and initiate action geared for water conservation and cost savings. Phyn accomplishes this by analyzing microscopic changes in water pressure 240 times every second, enabling it to learn the unique water-consumption signature of every fixture and categorize them.
In this fashion, Phyn delivers highly granular water usage details for all fixtures in the home as well as water-consuming appliances such as washing machines and dishwashers—in much the same way whole-house energy monitors like the Sense Home Energy Monitor do for electrical consumption. Products such these are key for homeowners interested in not only making their homes smartly connected, but also more adept at minimizing consumption of resources and saving on utility bills.
“At Phyn, we’re passionate about protecting homes from leak damage and providing tools to enable conservation,” said Ryan Kim, CEO of Phyn as the product was announced. “The Phyn Smart Water Assistant represents an innovative breakthrough that is designed, packaged, and priced to help homeowners understand, appreciate and control their water better, smarter.”
Kim also highlighted the use of AI technology in this latest Phyn product. “The Smart Water Assistant pairs sophisticated industry leading sensor and AI technology,” continued Kim. “It has a consumer friendly design that allows for self installation, making enhanced everyday experiences with water accessible to everyone.”
Leak Alerts, Freeze Warnings, and Diagnostics Part of Package
All of that technology is manifested in the feature list of this new Phyn device, including the following additional capabilities:
- Real-time Leak Alerts: Phyn can detect various types of leaks in the water system, and deliver mobile notifications around them. In the case of a major leak, Phyn can connect homeowners to a qualified nearby local plumber.
- Freeze Warnings: By sensing ice crystals as they are beginning to form, Phyn can alert homeowners before pipes have a chance to freeze and burst—providing time to take pre-emptive corrective actions.
- Diagnostic Plumbing Checks: A holistic Plumbing Check feature can—in just a few minutes—detect other hidden flaws and small leaks in the water system for pro-active resolution. It is used by turning off the main water valve.
- Connected Home and Voice Assistant Integrations: Phyn works with Amazon Alexa and Google Assistant for voice control, as well as with the If This Then That (IFTTT) automation platform.
Pre-Orders Now, Shipping in Late September
In keeping with the consumer-centric theme of the new Phyn product, the company announced it would be available for pre-order today directly from electronics retailer Best Buy, as well as from the Phyn and Belkin websites. The $299 product is expected to ship by late September 2019, and does not require any additional subscriptions for ongoing usage.
Why Belkin, you might ask? Phyn is backed by a joint venture between electronics maker Belkin International (makers of the WeMo connected home product line) and Finland-based plumbing systems manufacturer Uponor.
More About This Topic:
- More from Digitized House | Guide to the Connected Home
- Sign Up to Get Weekly Digitized House Updates
- Phyn Adds Alexa, Europe Availability to Phyn Plus Smart Water Assistant at CES 2019
- Zilker Smart Water Timer Review
- 5 Best Smart Technology Upgrades to Boost the Value of Your Home
- Hey Google, Control My Haiku Fan
- Infographic: Take Control of Your Energy Bills
- Are Smart Homes Normalizing Energy-Efficient Living?